By Lee Foster
The destructive energy of religious hatred, so major a force in our time, struck me in Yugoslavia, when I was there at the start of an earlier conflict, as Christians and Muslims began to slaughter each other. Listen as William Dougan narrates Chapter 22 “Yugoslavia: The Legacy of Religions” from the audiobook version of my book Travels in an American Imagination.
Here is more detail about the entire book/ebook/audiobook:
Lee Foster’s Travel Literary Book Released as Audiobook
Lee Foster’s travel literary book, Travels in an American Imagination: The Spiritual Geography of Our Time, has been released as an audiobook.
Here is a sample audio of the five-minute Introduction, as narrated by voice professional William Dougan.
The new audiobook is distributed by Audible, the central distribution source for more than 150,000 audiobooks. From Audible, the book is distributed on Amazon, which also carries the book as a printed book or ebook. Audible distributes the book through the other key vendor, iTunes. The print book is additionally available on Lee’s website. The ebook version can be found at all major ebook retailers. Bookstores and libraries can get the printed book through Ingram. The book will be published in Spring 2015 in Beijing as an ebook in Chinese.
The audiobook is described on Audible, Amazon, and iTunes as follows:
Is our era both the most wondrous and the most horrific time ever to be alive in the history of the human race?
Award-winning travel journalist Lee Foster thinks so. His audiobook, Travels in an American Imagination: The Spiritual Geography of Our Time, consists of 25 essays, in which Foster evokes a place in his worldwide travels and then addresses the spiritual geography of our era.
Foster’s work has won eight Lowell Thomas Awards, the highest accolades in travel writing, including him being named Travel Journalist of the Year (Silver Winner). More than 200 of his worldwide coverages can be seen at fostertravel.com.
Foster believes that modern life is defined by the constant media or actual-life barrage of polar positive and negative experiences on the average informed person. Those seeking an inner peace need to balance these assaults on their sensibilities through a deeper understanding of the current human drama.
He suggests that a balanced perception of modern life, with sufficient imagination, can enable a modern person to live in a healthy, constructive manner and not be overwhelmed by pessimism or despair.
Foster views modern life with an unflinching clarity. For example, in his chapter “Brazil: The Decline of the Environment,” he describes the experience of walking in a perishing rain forest with its irreversible loss of species. Yet Foster contrasts this encounter with the wondrous, as in the chapter “Canaveral: The Adventure of Space Flight,” in which he celebrates that we put a man on the moon, no small feat, in his lifetime.
The book won a Best Travel Book Award from the Bay Area Independent Publishers Association.
The audiobook was produced by Becky Parker Geist of Pro Audio Voices, with voice professional William Dougan as the narrator, and cover by Andy Parker. The Introduction and the 25 chapters are all about five minutes each. Price of the 2 hours 25 minute audiobook is $6.95 or discounted, as the vendor may choose.
Here is the Table of Contents for Travels in an American Imagination: The Spiritual Geography of Our Time, plus a free audio sample of the Introduction:
(Listen to an audio sample, the complete Introduction, at Introduction)
1. Oakland: The Rapid Pace of Change
2. Jerusalem: The Loss of Faith
3. Bali: The Search for Community
4. Minneapolis: The Sense of Place
5. Mexico: The Tentativeness of Love
6. Utah: The Joy of Family
7. Orlando: The Importance of Friends
8. Amsterdam: The Intrusion of Tragedy
9. Beijing: The Experience of Being a Minority
10. Brazil: The Decline of the Environment
11. Los Angeles: The Age of Entertainment
12. Oslo: The Refreshment of Art
13. New York City: The Effects of 9-11-01
14. Mojave Desert: The Mystery of Time Passing
15. Mesa Verde: The Anasazi’s Meaning of Life
16. Denali: The Beauty of Nature
17. Cape Canaveral: The Adventure of Space Flight
18. Galapagos: The Passions of the Biologists
19. Egypt: The Accomplishments of Man
20. Berkeley: The Little Things I Appreciate
21. Honolulu: The Sensuality of Life
22. Yugoslavia: The Legacy of Religions
23. Hong Kong: The Accumulation of Wealth
24. Nashville: The Urge to Create
25. Kenya: The Prospect of a Long Life